VIDEO: Plea to vote for school's £80,000 classroom bid
Last updated at 08:39, Friday, 25 April 2014
A final rallying call has been made for people to get behind a secondary school and help it win an £80,000 classroom.
Maryport’s Netherhall School was selected from nearly 400 schools in a national competition and since March it has been battling it out against five others in a public vote.
Pupils had to create a video as part of their application.
But with only two days left until the vote closes, the school is desperate to pull in as much support as possible.
Keith Little, county councillor for Maryport south and chairman of governors at the school, said: “This is our local secondary school and they’ve done incredibly well to be shortlisted, it would be fantastic if they could win.
“They really need everyone to get behind their campaign and vote for them. I’ve done it and I really encourage all Cumbrians to do the same!”
Councillor for Maryport north, Carni McCarron-Holmes, added: “Netherhall is in my electoral division and a I know what a huge impact this could have on the school.
“We are up against stiff competition from the other schools so it’s important we all vote. It doesn’t take long and a few votes could make the difference.”
The school wants to transform its allotment into a walled community garden, creating a purpose-built, innovative learning ‘shed’ to stimulate pupils, their families and community groups.
With demand for the local food bank growing by 156 per cent last year, it is hoped the school can perform a vital role in the community.
Shortlisting the entry, the judges described the plans as “exciting and unique”.
People can vote at www.tesconnect.com/building until Sunday and the winner will be announced on May 8.
First published at 08:33, Friday, 25 April 2014
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- Support is growing for Workington bypass demand
- ‘Truly glorious’, says RAF veteran as he soars again
- Time capsule message from Harrington pupils
- Excavation sheds more light on life in Roman Maryport
- Commonwealth baton honour for dairy man
- Classrooms put together in just a day
- Leisure centre go-ahead for Workington (26 comments)
- NEW PHOTOS: Sun shone on Sealy Spyatstock
- Day out at Maryport for Iggesund golfers
- Frank built 42-year career with West Cumbrian construction company