Workington nursery marks two milestones
Last updated at 14:32, Friday, 06 June 2014
A Workington nursery held a double celebration this week.
Learning Land, on Derwent Street, celebrated its 10th birthday and one of its workers, Hayley Winthorpe, marked her decade of service there with a party on Wednesday.
The nursery was opened by Hilary McCarron, of Lodge Close, Great Clifton, in 2004.
Hayley, 35, of Hunters Drive, Seaton, a childcare practitioner, said: “I’d worked in childcare before so I had a lot of experience and when Hilary asked me to work with her it was a dream come true.
“I have loads of memories but what has stood out is how much the nursery has grown.”
Hilary, who has children Kyran, 15, Kiana, 14, and Kayla, nine, said: “I’d had my first two children and really loved being a mum and looking after them. That’s what inspired me to open the nursery.”
She said the building had been a derelict eyesore, which was renovated.
She added: “We started with three or four children on the first day and now we have 147 children a week and 22 members of staff.”
First published at 14:31, Friday, 06 June 2014
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Go-ahead for 320-home Cockermouth estate (7 comments)
- Pupils' plea for new lollipop man or woman
- Double retirement at Aspatria's Beacon Hill School
- Pharmacy opening times over Christmas and new year
- Council services during festive period
- Search for family of VC hero ahead of memorial event
- Anger at closure of town register office
- Man airlifted to hospital after major fall in Workington
- Controversial Cockermouth housing estate plans given go ahead by Allerdale council (2 comments)
- West Cumbrian road closed as water main bursts