Airlift drama for Maryport rugby boy
Last updated at 13:37, Friday, 04 July 2014
A Maryport youngster scored the try of his life at the weekend – but was then airlifted to hospital for his trouble.
The drama unfolded when Malik Steele, 12, of Victory Crescent, was playing for Glasson Rangers’ under-12 side on Sunday against Flimby.
Malik was going for the try when he said he could feel his “body go over his head” and collapsed on the ground in pain.
The referee told him to stay still and a nurse, Sharon Donald, who was there supporting the Flimby team, rushed over to help.
A decision was made to call the air ambulance because of concern that he had suffered a back or neck injury.
Malik said: “I was taken to the Cumberland Infirmary in Carlisle. I wasn’t scared. It was exciting but all I could see through the helicopter windows were clouds.”
The youngster was in hospital for about five hours getting checked over before he was allowed home, where he was recovering this week.
Malik’s father Steven is one of his coaches and was on hand with mum Bev, who was watching the game.
Bev said she was grateful to Sharon and to the referee.
She added: “When the paramedics arrived they said that everything had been done to textbook standard.
“We will definitely make a donation to the air ambulance for their help. We can’t thank everyone enough.
“Malik lives and breathes rugby. He plays league for Glasson and rugby union for Netherhall School.
“We are just so grateful he will be able to play again.”
First published at 13:01, Friday, 04 July 2014
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- West Cumbria housing estate scheme gets green light
- Maryport take-away plans approved
- Controversial Workington cross can stay (4 comments)
- Workington man wins fight to keep 9ft-high crucifix (9 comments)
- New Taste Cumbria food fair launched
- Woman, 50, found dead in Maryport
- An appointment with the doctor in Aspatria
- Call for more cyclists to join Team Townend Challenge
- Beauty beats bullies with dress design
- Lulu named as Maryport Blues Festival headliner (7 comments)