Call for firefighters for new Workington station
Last updated at 15:55, Friday, 07 December 2012
Workington’s new fire station is taking shape – and it has prompted a call for part-time firefighters to join from the town’s Moorclose area.
Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service is looking to recruit on-call firefighters for the new Moorclose station who will respond to incidents within five minutes.
The local part-timers could earn up to £6,000 a year.
The new Workington Fire Station is set to open in June next year.
It is one of five community fire stations being built across Cumbria as part of a modernisation plan.
Moorclose was chosen because it was identified as being in need of a higher level of fire cover.
Adrian Holme, station manager, said that existing on-call firefighters would move from the old King Street station to the new base, but vacancies meant there was a need to recruit more.
They would ideally live within five minutes of the new station.
Recruits must attend two hour training sessions each Tuesday evening, respond to emergency calls and be available between 8am and 5pm on weekdays.
Two open days devoted to the recruitment drive will be held at the King Street fire station on Tuesday between 4pm and 8pm and on January 4 between 1pm and 5pm.
The new station’s steel framework is in place and the external building is 80 per cent complete.
It will include four fire engine bays, an extra storage room, community room and young firefighter facilities.
For more information about the on-call vacancies, contact Adrian Holme on 07917305772 or email adrian. email@example.com
First published at 14:38, Friday, 07 December 2012
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Boiler problem shuts Workington swimming pools
- Charity bike ride next week
- Kirstie’s cash support for murder mum’s kids (1 comment)
- Mum slims down after fairground ride shame
- Cockermouth Carnival is cancelled (2 comments)
- HAVE YOUR SAY: Plans for Workington Hall in pipeline (3 comments)
- Bargain Hunt crew visits West Cumbria
- Bid to revitalise Workington's 'industrial spine' as Eastman plant closes (10 comments)
- Sarah Millican comes to Keswick
- COMING SOON: Uppies and Downies as it happens