Carnival boasts community spirit
Published at 19:20, Thursday, 19 July 2012
KINGS and queens, jubilee theme fancy dress and even a horse decorated in red, white and blue turned out for Eaglesfield’s annual carnival at the weekend.
About 60 villagers took part in the parade, which started at the village green before winding its way past the Black Cock pub to the village hall where there was a tombola, raffle, tea, coffee and cakes.
Marian Lonsdale, one of the organisers, said: “It has been a great day. The fancy dress has been fabulous and I am really pleased with the costumes. Some people have gone to a huge effort.”
Villagers who came out with their children also enjoyed the day.
Phil Wolstencroft, 54, attended with his daughter Martha, five, who dressed up as one of the three bears.
He said: “It has been great to get everybody together. There has been a nice community spirit and fantastic costumes which people have gone to a lot of trouble to make.”
Vicky Jones, 35, went with husband David, 37, and children Sam, five, and Molly, three, who won the pre-school fancy dress prize.
Vicky said: “It is the first time we have taken part and it has made our day that Molly has won. Eaglesfield has always had good community spirit through the school and village events.”
Fancy dress results: Pre-school: Molly Jones as Queen. Key stage one: George Studholme as Spongebob Squarepants. Key stage two: Herbie Ashworth as Plague Doctor. Open: American miniature horse Jasper owned by Sarah Welford.
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- You look like that man off the TV!
- Farmer keeps 260ft turbine bid in motion with appeal (2 comments)
- Workington arson victim fears mistaken identity
- June 11 launch for West Cumbria flood defences
- Workington store closing (1 comment)
- Fish factory axes 40 jobs after loss of key contract (1 comment)
- Wedding guest left for dead after Workington hit and run
- Don't forget to pick up next week's Times & Star!
- Obituary - Richard Wimpress, of Cockermouth
- Herdwick given EU protected status