Cash boost for £2m revamp of Cockermouth arts centre
Last updated at 13:32, Friday, 04 July 2014
Cockermouth’s Kirkgate Centre has been given a major boost in its plan for a £2 million revamp.
The venue found out this week that it had been successful in the first stage of securing £850,000 from the Arts Council so staff can work on a final submission.
Kate Parry, the Kirkgate’s general manager, said: “We are extremely delighted that the Arts Council has supported our plans.
“It is a major vote of confidence in our vision for the centre and we hope it will unlock funding support from other sources.”
The centre, which opened in 1995, won planning permission last year for an extension to include a cafe/bar, new box office, community meeting room, offices, improved stage access and dressing rooms and up-to-date technology for the auditorium.
The Friends of the Kirkgate group has been set up locally to raise £200,000 towards the redevelopment.
Kirkgate Arts, which runs the centre, has also been awarded £120,000 over three years from 2015 to continue its successful Arts Out West touring scheme, which takes professional shows to village and community halls in West Cumbria.
Caroline Aston, artistic manager of Arts Out West, said: “We are pleased that our local communities will continue to benefit from having professional shows right on their doorsteps.”
The Arts Council also confirmed that it will fund Keswick’s Theatre by the Lake until at least 2018, with £604,067 a year.
First published at 12:37, Friday, 04 July 2014
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Ofsted criticised by retiring head
- On the trail of woolly characters in Cockermouth
- Lidl pledges to use local firms in Maryport build
- Big ‘yes’ to Lidl store plan
- Lillian to retire so she can do more in the community
- Cumbria County Council chief defends difficult parking policy moves
- Obituary - Mary MacDonald, of Cockermouth
- CAMPAIGN: Help us keep hearts beating strongly in your community
- PHOTOS: Salute West Cumbria's superheroes (1 comment)
- ‘Alfie is my superhero' - Meet the children of the year