Christians bring Ideal World to Workington theatre
Last updated at 14:22, Friday, 02 November 2012
Eighties group The Christians are on their way to Workington as part of their 25th anniversary tour.
The band, who produced some of the most distinctive hits of the decade, will play at the Carnegie Theatre on Saturday, December 8.
Their anniversary tour coincides with the release of a new album Speed of Life plus deluxe anniversary editions of their first two multi-million selling albums The Christians and Colour.
Front man Garry Christian’s smooth tones will fill the newly refurbished theatre with some of the band’s biggest hits, including Ideal World, which reached number 14 in the UK singles chart, Harvest for the World, which reached number eight, and Words, which reached number 18, plus tracks from the new album.
Their second album Colour reached number one in the UK album charts, and The Daily Mirror described Garry as “the best voice of the decade”.
The band’s name refers to the brothers’ surname, as the original line-up included Garry’s brothers Russel, who left in 2005, and Roger, who died in 1998 of a brain tumor.
During their rise to fame the Liverpool-based group packed out international and UK stadiums.
Comparisons were drawn with The Temptations because of the depth and range of the brothers’ harmonies.
The current line-up includes Mike Triggs on keyboards, Lionel Duke on drums, Neil Griffiths on vocals and acoustic guitar, Joey Ankrah on electric guitar and Cliff Watson on bass.
First published at 11:49, Friday, 02 November 2012
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- Workington's Emily is still smiling
- 100 jobs masterplan revealed by M-Sport
- Mutiny on Cockermouth's Main Street
- Workington road will close for resurfacing
- Gilcrux pub to reopen after flood
- Workington care home admissions suspended
- Piglet boom at West Cumbria animal park
- Pulling in beer lovers in Workington
- Council is selling Workington's Old Rectory
- Woman found dead in Workington toilet named