Cockermouth care home launches tea shop
Last updated at 14:00, Friday, 29 August 2014
A dingy unused room has been transformed into a pretty, pastel-coloured tea shop which opens today at a Cockermouth care home.
The light and bright venue is being named Marie’s Cafe, after Marie Boxx, 62, the home’s activity co-ordinator who retires today.
It will be opened by the Dalton Court Care Home’s oldest resident, Margaret Scales, 101.
Home manager Janice Thompson, who came up with the idea, said: “It’s a little cafe where residents can go with their loved ones and friends for coffee and a cake.
“It’s mainly for people with dementia who do not leave the building.”
There will be fresh cakes and biscuits made daily.
There are 60 residents at the home in Europe Way, 30 of whom have dementia.
Marie, from Workington, has been working there since the home opened in 2010.
She regularly takes residents out to shows, singing groups, for an ice cream, and also does lots of painting, singing and chatting with them.
“They all love singing. It’s been lovely here, we’re all like family,” said Marie.
“I shall miss the residents and the staff. I will be keeping in touch and coming back.”
She was delighted to hear the cafe would be named after her. “I’m chuffed to bits,” she said.
She also takes residents to a weekly Singing for the Brain workshop, run by the Alzheimer’s Society at the Helena Thompson Museum in Workington.
This week all the people who normally attend the workshop gathered to bid Marie farewell.
First published at 13:57, Friday, 29 August 2014
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Group plans to reopen Workington Hall
- Jeanne is cover image for American novelist
- Daughters’ tribute raises thousands for charity
- Support group is planned for grandparents
- Wave energy plan for Solway to power thousands of homes
- All markets banned from Market Place (6 comments)
- Workington school is making ‘progress’
- Big win for woman on national bingo game
- Bargain store opens in Workington next week (4 comments)
- Maryport man charged with murder of his wife