Cumbria County Council bids for share of £6.7m storm damage cash
Last updated at 13:55, Friday, 24 January 2014
A bid for cash will be launched to repair damage to the coast road between Maryport and Silloth.
Keith Little, Maryport county councillor, said the council was putting together the bid after the Government announced that £6.7 million will be made available to areas affected by the recent severe weather.
The B5300 at Dubmill Point, near Allonby, was one of the worst hit areas when high tides resulted in huge waves crashing against the shoreline.
Coun Little said some concrete reinforcement was washed away, debris was thrown onto the road and drains were blocked.
The coastline north of Maryport was driven back by the tidal surge by up to 10 yards in places, and three seafront car parks were badly damaged.
Coun Little said more high tides were expected next month and the council was looking at how to protect the area.
He added: “We are appealing to the Government to come forward following the serious weather and help us repair some of the damage and put up some coastal protection.
“We hope the Government will recognise that councils are very stretched at the minute.
“The B5300 is an important connecting road and we will do what we can to fix it.”
But he added that, with a relatively small pot of money to be shared across the country, and some counties hit far worse than Cumbria, the county council was likely to end up footing most if not all of the repair bill.
Brian Irving, manager of the Solway Coast Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, said: “The infrastructure needs to be protected in the best possible way. I fully support anything the county council is trying to do.”
Workington MP Sir Tony Cunningham said he would support the appeal.
Crosscanonby Parish Council has previously criticised the county council and Allerdale council for not doing enough to protect the B5300 and the three coastal car parks that were washed away.
The county council’s bid will relate solely to the road and not the car parks.
l Commentary – Page 6
First published at 13:24, Friday, 24 January 2014
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
Have your say
Nae chance of Cumbria getting owt! It will all go to the Tory concils in the south. West Cumbria needs the Â£6.7 million and more just to get it to where it would have been if investment was on the same scale as Keswick, penrith and Kendal, let alone what happens arpund the smoke.
I contacted Mr Little a few years ago expressing my concern about "the disappearing coastline between Flimby and Maryport" and was told there was no money available. Will be no railway line either within a few years. This is not only due to the recent storms - possible neglect springs to mind
View all 4 comments on this article