Donations idea for Cockermouth food show
Last updated at 20:08, Thursday, 19 July 2012
People visiting a marquee showcasing local Cumbrian chefs at this year’s Taste Cumbria food festival in Cockermouth will be asked for donations.
Organisers had wanted to charge £2 for people to watch the demonstrations, in a marquee in Memorial Gardens, to help cover their costs.
The town council, which owns the gardens, said it would not be legally possible to do this as events held there must be free of charge.
This is because when the council first bought the gardens it was conditional that residents would not be charged for entry under terms of the Open Spaces Act.
Festival organisers have instead decided that a donation of £2 or more will be requested when people enter the marquee, although it will not be compulsory.
Nick Lawler, chairman of the Taste Cumbria working group, said that six demonstrations would take place each day during the food festival, and between 100 and 150 people would be able to fit into the marquee at any one time.
The demonstrations would last between 40 and 45 minutes, with 15 minutes at the end to allow people to ask questions, get autographs, and possibly taste some of the food.
It had been suggested that the marquee be moved to a different location so organisers would be allowed to charge.
Sites included Main Street and a grassy area behind Jennings at the confluence of the River Derwent and River Cocker.
These were discounted because traders had already been organised for Main Street and it was felt that the area behind Jennings would be too far from the rest of the festival.
The town council talked to its solicitor and it was agreed that donations would be allowed.
The festival on September 29 and 30 is expected to bring £5 million and more than 25,000 people to the area. It will also feature over 20 market traders from Cockermouth’s twin town of Marvejols, stationed in Market Place.
Coun Alan Smith suggested that the council could make a donation to the festival next year to support it.
First published at 19:20, Thursday, 19 July 2012
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Panel chairman to stay on despite complaints
- Giving students the chance to learn in a new way
- Support group helps people make the forward steps in their lives
- Paranormal hunt at Workington theatre
- Fletcher dances for top role
- Jail for West Cumbria bottle attack man
- Two men deny data protection charges
- Lawyers team up for a new online venture
- Your chance to help shape town’s new £9m leisure centre
- Workington's Body Shop will close on June 8