Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Friday, 03 July 2015

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Driver arrested over death of Workington pedestrian

A Workington man who died after being hit by a car in the town centre has been named.

DEVOTED DAD: Jim Smith, of Hyde Street, Workington

James Henry Smith, 54, of Hyde Street, was struck by a car at 5.45pm on Tuesday near the town hall on Oxford Street.

A 50-year-old Workington woman was arrested at the scene on suspicion of driving without due care and attention and has been released on bail.

Mr Smith suffered serious head injuries and died at Whitehaven’s West Cumberland Hospital on Wednesday morning.

His two daughters, Alisha, of Workington, and Sharon, of Egremont, paid tribute to him.

In a statement, they said: “He was a devoted dad, always there for us when we needed him and would always be the first person we would turn to.

“He always told us he loved us, making sure we knew.

“He was a granddad to two boys and a girl who he loved dearly.

“He was always supportive and would stand by us, even if he didn’t agree with the decisions we had made. He didn’t judge and always put others first.

“He was our world. He was one in a million. We can’t imagine life without our dad, we will miss him so much.”

Mr Smith, known as Jim, was born in Whitehaven and was brought up there with three brothers and a sister.

He then moved to Workington with his wife Norma, who died in October 2011.

Alisha and Sharon said: “They were soulmates. They used to spend all their time together, so when she died he was lost.”

Mr Smith was a joiner and used to have his own business and latterly worked for Jackson’s Timber Yard in Whitehaven.

Joinery was a great passion of his at home, and he made furniture and wooden toys for his children when they were young.

He enjoyed going on holiday to Florida, reading, doing crosswords and watching crime shows on TV.

After Mrs Smith died, he found comfort in his dog, Wally. His daughters said they were inseparable.

The driver of the vehicle involved, a grey Honda CR-V, was not injured in the collision.

The road was closed for about four hours while police carried out an initial investigation.

Officers are appealing for people to come forward who may have seen Mr Smith at the time.

Inspector Andy Wilkinson, of Cumbria police, said: “We need to speak to anyone who believes they may have seen a man wearing a long, high-visibility yellow jacket and carrying a rucksack attempting to cross the road in the area of Oxford Street near the bus station, or close to the area of Corporation Road.”

Anyone with information should call police on 101.


Hot jobs
Search for:


Would you consider cancelling your holiday abroad following the events in Tunisia?



Show Result