Firm with Madame Tussauds link in line to light up Workington Hall
Last updated at 12:13, Friday, 16 August 2013
A company which has illuminated Madame Tussauds in London could be asked to light up Workington Hall.
Pulsar, a Cambridge LED lighting business, carried out trials outside the grade-one listed ruin this week.
Workington Heritage Group wants to find a company to light up the hall’s front facade.
It is planned that the 14th century building would be illuminated with up to eight lights mounted on concrete plinths.
Mark Jenkinson, of the heritage group, said: “We want to show that we and Allerdale council are serious about the future of the hall. I would love to see it lit up by Christmas.”
The group has already received £5,500 towards the project from county councillor Joe Holliday.
It has been estimated that it could cost up to £28,000 but Mr Jenkinson said the group would work hard to drive the cost down.
Pulsar is among the contenders for the illumination project.
It has been involved in high profile projects all over the world.
It collaborated on lighting up the outside of London’s Madame Tussaud waxworks museum, and it has illuminated the Ada Bridge in Serbia and the 12th century ruins of Castle Valkenburg in the Netherlands.
Workington Hall was put on English Heritage’s at risk register late last year, sparking hopes that its future could be turned around after decades of neglect.
Workington Heritage Group and Workington Hall Action Group joined forces to revive the fortunes of the building.
Among the ideas also under consideration are a hotel, a conference centre, a cafe, a museum and a masonry college.
However, members cannot take their plans to the next stage until Allerdale council has completed a survey.
First published at 11:56, Friday, 16 August 2013
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Go-ahead for 320-home Cockermouth estate (7 comments)
- Pupils' plea for new lollipop man or woman
- Double retirement at Aspatria's Beacon Hill School
- Pharmacy opening times over Christmas and new year
- Council services during festive period
- Search for family of VC hero ahead of memorial event
- Anger at closure of town register office
- Man airlifted to hospital after major fall in Workington
- Controversial Cockermouth housing estate plans given go ahead by Allerdale council (2 comments)
- West Cumbrian road closed as water main bursts