Flood fund gives more cash to defence plan
Last updated at 20:33, Thursday, 10 May 2012
Cockermouth Flood Action Group has been given a £100,000 cheque towards the town’s flood defences by the Cumbria Community Foundation.
The money, which had already been pledged, has come from the Cumbria Flood Recovery Fund, which was set up after the 2009 floods.
More than £3million was raised through the fund and almost every penny has gone back out to those who needed it.
Sue Cashmore, flood action group chairman, said: “The people of Cockermouth, I’m sure, will join me in thanking all the people who so generously donated to the flood fund which the Cumbria Community Foundation ran.
“This generosity helped to support people in the aftermath of the flooding.
“This £100,000 will enable the building of the flood defences so that Cockermouth can continue to move forward.”
Deb Muscat, of Cumbria Community Foundation, said: “We’re delighted to be able to use the remaining funds donated to the Fund to provide such valuable long term protection for parts of the town.”
Cockermouth’s £4.4million flood defence scheme was given planning permission last month.
The Government will provide £3.3million towards the scheme and the rest of the money is being raised locally.
First published at 19:24, Thursday, 10 May 2012
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- A595 roadworks completed
- West Cumbrian rapist sentenced to 12 years in prison
- Firm keeps La’al Ratty on track
- Hotel copule earn top AA award
- Hotel puts its energy into biomass boiler
- Chamber launches West Cumbria business breakfast
- Former lecturer restores rotting Maryport boat
- Vandals take plaques in memory of Great Clifton teen David Foster (10 comments)
- Broughton Moor care home approved despite objections (4 comments)
- Maryport plans tourism drive with Mary Portas cash (1 comment)