Georgian Fair is off due to road revamp
Last updated at 12:04, Friday, 13 December 2013
Next year’s Cockermouth Georgian Fair has been cancelled because of the planned redevelopment of the town’s Main Street.
Fair organisers this week said that “insurmountable difficulties” prevented them from staging the major event from May 2.
David Cornwall, chairman of the organising group, said: “This has been a very difficult decision to take.
“We have explored all possible alternatives such as relocating the event, changing the date or having a scaled down version but we have concluded that the best and the only way to have an event that Cockermouth will be proud of is to postpone it.
“We hope everyone will understand that having explored all the alternatives, we have had to take this decision.
“We hope the town’s businesses, community groups and residents will appreciate that we only want the best for our remarkable town.”
Last year’s four-day fair attracted 15,000 people.
The organisers pledged that the fair would return in 2015.
It is the latest in a number of events cancelled next year in West Cumbria, including the Cockermouth Rock Festival at Wellington Farm.
Kate Parry, one of the fair’s founders and an organiser said: “It’s a huge pity especially since so many other local festivals will not be taking place.
“We felt it would be better to wait until the Main Street works are completed, and then pull off another fantastic fair in 2015.”
Jonty Chippendale, chairman of Cockermouth and District Chamber of Trade, said: “With the improvements that will take place on the Main Street it was almost inevitable.
“It is very sad coming on top of all the other cancellations but we still have lots to look forward to next year and I am sure it will come back better than ever.”
Town councillor Stephen Coates said: “I am sorry it has been cancelled but I quite understand the reasons.
“It will affect businesses as well because of the amount of people who support it.”
Cockermouth mayor Phillip Graham said he was disappointed.
The £1.7 million revamp of Main Street is due to start in January and last eight months.
Work will include improvements to bring the road up to the standard it was before the 2009 floods.
The northern pavement will be re-laid in sandstone, and drainage and street lighting improved. There will be a new layout for parking, loading bays, taxi ranks and bus stops.
First published at 12:02, Friday, 13 December 2013
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
Have your say
I thought the plans for the "improvement" of the Main Street had been shelved. There is nothing wrong with Cockerouth's Main Street, pavement, roads or lighting. What is needed is more on road parking not less and works should be timed to allow major events like the Georgian Fair and the Malcolm Wilson rally take place as normal. Those in authority don't seem to have the brains they were born with these days!
Does this mean the main street will be completly closed for 8 months people will go to workington
View all 6 comments on this article