Great Clifton club rewards members for attendance
Last updated at 16:29, Friday, 22 August 2014
Members of an alternative Sunday School have been awarded certificates for their attendance this term.
The Great Clifton Methodist Church’s Friday Club handed out the prizes to youngsters at a ceremony.
Eva Ackerlay, one of the club volunteers, said: “This isn’t an after-school club. It is a Sunday club which is held on a Friday because we weren’t getting members in on Sundays.
“They can come here and get a hot meal and a pudding, and have Bible stories, songs and social time. We also go for walks and on residentials.”
The club, which has been running for about 25 years, has 24 members.
Jessica Southwell, seven, and her sister Mikaela, nine, were among the youngsters who were presented with certificates and books.
The club is run by Mrs Ackerlay, Angela Good, Stephen Rumney, Irene Owens and Steve Crelling.
It was the brainchild of the Rev John Dale and his wife Mavis.
It has been supported over the years by the Rev Eric Wright, the Rev Peter Ormerod and the Rev Nicola Reynolds.
It runs every Friday from 3pm to 6pm and members can get a meal for £1.50.
First published at 16:12, Friday, 22 August 2014
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Go-ahead for 320-home Cockermouth estate (7 comments)
- Pupils' plea for new lollipop man or woman
- Double retirement at Aspatria's Beacon Hill School
- Pharmacy opening times over Christmas and new year
- Council services during festive period
- Search for family of VC hero ahead of memorial event
- Anger at closure of town register office
- Man airlifted to hospital after major fall in Workington
- Controversial Cockermouth housing estate plans given go ahead by Allerdale council (2 comments)
- West Cumbrian road closed as water main bursts