Healthy eating theme for Workington project
Published at 13:33, Friday, 24 January 2014
Events to encourage healthy eating and active lifestyles will be held by the Workington Local Food Project.
The Big Lottery-funded project, led by housing association Your Derwent & Solway, is developing community growing gardens in Salterbeck and Moorclose for residents to grow food.
The new events range from how to cook on a budget to crafts in the garden.
On Monday, there will be a session on low-fat healthy eating at the Minto Centre, Westfield, from 6pm to 8pm.
At Moorclose Community Centre on Wednesday, people can make bird and bug boxes from 6pm to 8pm and on February 6, there will be a half-day visit to Watchtree Nature Reserve, near Carlisle, leaving the Oval Centre, Salterbeck, at 9.30am and returning around 1pm.
People can prepare for spring in the fruit and vegetable garden at the Oval Centre on February 13, from 1pm to 3pm and a scarecrow-making session will take place at Harrington Nature Reserve, Moorclose Road, on February 19, from 1pm to 3pm.
The next day, the reserve will host big art in the woods, 1pm to 3pm.
A seasonal grow and cook session takes place at the Oval Centre on March 4, 10am to noon.
The centre will host a craft for the garden session on March 13, 1pm to 3pm.
For more information, call 01900 607532.
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- Pupils feel the beat at drumming workshop
- Couple’s aid for Romania passes 2,000 boxes mark
- Actors find Lost Boy in four days
- Tennis match reaches 50 years
- New WI aimed at helping women build friendships
- Proposals to move maternity services to Cockermouth
- Rescue plan for iconic West Cumbrian church
- Hospital woes spark vicar’s letter to PM
- Britain’s Afghan campaign was ‘worthwhile’ says mum
- Bench in memory of Trevor Fee
- Two killed instantly in car and motorbike tragedy - inquest
- Fightback begins as Cockermouth Main Street reopens (8 comments)
- Pram push to highlight concerns over West Cumberland Hospital services
- Cumbrian brothers accused of GBH were ‘watching rugby match’ - court
- Operation fiasco as patient’s notes go missing (1 comment)