Major makeover under way at Maryport eyesore pub
Last updated at 06:49, Friday, 04 May 2012
The last remaining eyseore on Maryport’s Shipping Brow is to get a major makeover.
The White Star pub, which stands between the Golden Lion and the old Carlton cinema, will be one of the last major investments by the Allerdale council-driven Maryport Town Heritage Initiative.
Allerdale council planning manager Kevin Kerrigan said that £30,000 will be spent on the property.
He said it would include re-rendering, window repairs, external decoration and new signage.
Work is now under way and is expected to be completed by the end of June.
The pub was gutted three years ago when the inside received a £12,000 restoration by former Maryport man Geoff Walby, who returned after 23 years in Liverpool to open the pub.
Mr Walby said: “We found that it was going to take more than just a paint job.
“The render had to be removed and windows replaced.
“It became too big a job at a time when everyone was facing some financial hardship.”
Mr Walby and his partner Rachael Baio said the exterior would be painted pastel blue to complement other buildings in the area.
First published at 06:10, Friday, 04 May 2012
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Woman, 50, found dead in Maryport
- Solfest is back with a bang!
- An appointment with the doctor in Aspatria
- Call for more cyclists to join Team Townend Challenge
- Beauty beats bullies with dress design
- Lulu named as Maryport Blues Festival headliner (3 comments)
- Polar bear photo in top exhibition
- Design a Cockermouth cake
- UK first for West Cumbrian factory in prostate cancer fight
- Tributes to West Cumbria's Paul Harrison