Major makeover under way at Maryport eyesore pub
Last updated at 06:49, Friday, 04 May 2012
The last remaining eyseore on Maryport’s Shipping Brow is to get a major makeover.
The White Star pub, which stands between the Golden Lion and the old Carlton cinema, will be one of the last major investments by the Allerdale council-driven Maryport Town Heritage Initiative.
Allerdale council planning manager Kevin Kerrigan said that £30,000 will be spent on the property.
He said it would include re-rendering, window repairs, external decoration and new signage.
Work is now under way and is expected to be completed by the end of June.
The pub was gutted three years ago when the inside received a £12,000 restoration by former Maryport man Geoff Walby, who returned after 23 years in Liverpool to open the pub.
Mr Walby said: “We found that it was going to take more than just a paint job.
“The render had to be removed and windows replaced.
“It became too big a job at a time when everyone was facing some financial hardship.”
Mr Walby and his partner Rachael Baio said the exterior would be painted pastel blue to complement other buildings in the area.
First published at 06:10, Friday, 04 May 2012
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Pupils feel the beat at drumming workshop
- Couple’s aid for Romania passes 2,000 boxes mark
- Actors find Lost Boy in four days
- Tennis match reaches 50 years
- New WI aimed at helping women build friendships
- Proposals to move maternity services to Cockermouth
- Rescue plan for iconic West Cumbrian church
- Hospital woes spark vicar’s letter to PM
- Britain’s Afghan campaign was ‘worthwhile’ says mum
- Bench in memory of Trevor Fee