Police name man killed after Workington main road crash
Last updated at 08:14, Thursday, 17 January 2013
Police have identified the man who died after being hit by a car on Tuesday in Workington.
The collision happened at 5.44pm yesterday near the Town Hall on Oxford Street.
James Henry Smith, 54. of Hyde Street, Workington, died at the West Cumberland Hospital this morning after suffering serious head injuries the collision.
His family have been informed.
A grey Honda CR-V motor vehicle, which was being driven by a 50-year-old woman from the Workington area collided with a 54-year-old man from Workington.
The driver of the Honda was not injured but the pedestrian was taken to the West Cumberland Hospital in Whitehaven with serious head injuries and died this morning.
The 50-year-old woman from Workington was arrested at the scene on suspicion of driving without due care and attention and has since been released on bail.
Police officers from Cumbria Roads Policing Unit and Collision Investigation Unit attended the scene and the road was closed for approximately four hours whilst an initial investigation was carried out.
Enquiries are continuing and police are appealing to anyone who may have witnessed the incident to contact PC David Edwards from Cumbria Roads Policing Unit by calling 101.
First published at 18:05, Tuesday, 15 January 2013
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- Panel chairman to stay on despite complaints
- Giving students the chance to learn in a new way
- Support group helps people make the forward steps in their lives
- Paranormal hunt at Workington theatre
- Fletcher dances for top role
- Jail for West Cumbria bottle attack man
- Two men deny data protection charges
- Lawyers team up for a new online venture
- Your chance to help shape town’s new £9m leisure centre
- Workington's Body Shop will close on June 8