Mandela tribute at rugby get-together
Last updated at 12:04, Friday, 13 December 2013
Workington MP Sir Tony Cunningham met some of the world’s top rugby players at the Houses of Parliament.
Sir Tony, who is chairman of the cross-party rugby union and rugby league groups, hosted former South Africa rugby captain Francois Pienaar, Welsh international Shane Williams and Australia’s most successful rugby captain John Eales.
Sir Tony said: “I am proud of my efforts to cement the relationship between the two codes and I spent the day with them and then hosted a black tie dinner.”
Snippets from Invictus, the 2009 film starring Matt Damon as Francois Pienaar and about Nelson Mandela’s plan to unite South Africa through the 1995 Rugby World Cup campaign, were shown at the event.
Sir Tony said: “Francois spoke movingly about Nelson Mandela and about how inspiring he was.”
First published at 12:02, Friday, 13 December 2013
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- Workington dad in 'gizza job' plea (8 comments)
- Keeper Leanne talks to the animals at Lake District park
- Major blow in fight to save Cockermouth church
- Lorton dinner lady says farewell
- New Roman dig starts in Maryport
- Fishing fleet seascape is unveiled in Maryport (1 comment)
- Maryport teen Rebecca, 16, loses cancer battle (1 comment)
- Workington teen on TV show Jockey School
- West Cumbrians cook up a treat on Come Dine With Me (1 comment)
- Workington leisure centre offers building opportunities