Maryport colleagues run for cancer charity
Last updated at 16:53, Friday, 08 August 2014
Five women from a Maryport bank swapped their cheque books for running shoes to raise more than £3,000 for charity.
Fong Dawson, Susan Rae, Helen Wood, Rebecca Wood and Pauline Brown from TSB on Senhouse Street raised the money by taking part in the Race for Life in Carlisle last month.
Women of all ages completed the course to raise more than £177,000 for Cancer Research UK.
The five women raised £1,472. This was matched by TSB and, with gift aid, took the total to £3,680.
They took part because they had all been touched by cancer in one way or another. To add extra poignancy to the occasion, their colleague Angela Clark, of Workington, was diagnosed with breast cancer last year.
And for Pauline, of Seaton, it was a significant race because she was previously diagnosed with thyroid cancer, but has been in remission for five years.
Fong, 44, of Maryport, added: “What started as a celebration of the lives of those affected by cancer – both survivors and those we have lost – has given us hope that with the generosity shown by all our sponsors, working together we can give cancer the beating it deserves.”
The women are already making plans to take part in next year’s Race for Life.
First published at 16:02, Friday, 08 August 2014
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Workington Hall safety work begins
- PHOTOS: Troops march into the heart of Maryport
- Wreath mission to war graves of town’s fallen
- Garage beauty salon’s 10 years
- Keswick's former pencil factory to be sold
- Gary the Ferret’s big day out leads to uproar on bus
- Bid to replace vandalised seating
- Judge tells allotment holders to leave in six weeks
- Traders in TV advert push to promote town (2 comments)
- Friends plan party to remember Chloe at 21
- Thousands backing campaign to make Cumbria Scottish (127 comments)
- Conservative Stevenson retains Carlisle (104 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in further talks with "billionaire"
- Stagecoach making changes to bus routes across Carlisle (32 comments)
- Action to tackle starling problem in Carlisle city centre (24 comments)