Maryport pensioners fear curfew after bus cuts
Last updated at 12:44, Friday, 29 August 2014
A group of Maryport pensioners say they are willing to pay towards keeping the town’s main bus service running in response to major service cuts.
It was revealed last week that the number 57 Maryport estate bus service will no longer run after 2.20pm daily from next month.
Joyce Hughes, 67, of Inglis Court, said: “It is imposing a curfew on Maryport.”
It is one of several key services to be reduced by the bus company Stagecoach as Cumbria County Council withdraws its transport subsidy for budgetary reasons.
The decision has been criticised by groups representing residents in the Ewanrigg, Ellenborough and Hillside areas of Maryport.
A group of pensioners led by Shirley Sutcliffe, 84, of Inglis Court, said that despite having bus passes they would be willing to pay up to 50p for a return trip to the town centre if the service could be maintained.
They said that if plans to stop the 57 service at 2.20pm went ahead, the effect would be disastrous.
People at Ewanrigg Community Centre this week warned that a reduced bus service would lead to isolation for some people.
Pauline Shaw, manager of Inglis Court, which provides sheltered, independent living, said: “It is a real blow to people living at this end of town.
Continued on page 2
From page 1
“Elderly people especially, and I am sure people with young families too, don’t always find it easy to be ready early in the morning. Now they will have to be.”
David Croft, 67, who recently moved to Inglis Court with wife Sandra, 65, said: “One of the reasons we came to Inglis Court was because of the bus service. This is not good news.”
Ellenborough councillor Janice Wood said: “We have not discussed this as a town council but I am sure we will be making submissions.”
Maryport transport campaigner Dianne Standen, chairwoman of the West Cumbria Bus Users Group, said her group would continue to oppose the cuts.
The issue will be raised at the group’s annual meeting next month.
A county council spokeswoman said the council had been forced to cut subsidies through budget constraints, and it was up to Stagecoach to timetable services.
l Lifeline will be lost in bus service cuts – Page 8
l Letters – Pages 20-22
First published at 12:27, Friday, 29 August 2014
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
Have your say
well ive done a few walks to and from town since i saw this story. and must admit im getting used to all the hills. up bangla. i walked to the station this morning and felt alot fitter
A similar state of affairs up to the Moorclose-Ashfield Estates in Workington except it is the evening buses that have been curtailed
View all 5 comments on this article