Maryport wave power test
Last updated at 14:59, Friday, 13 June 2014
A Maryport company is developing an innovative new source of wave-powered renewable energy which could provide electricity to small communities around the world.
MPM North West, based at the Maryport Marina, has applied for planning permission to test a wave paddle in Maryport.
The paddle is designed to produce power and electricity as well as desalination from the sea.
A planning application to Allerdale council said that trials had been conducted using computer modelling and the testing of small prototype models in university wave tanks throughout England.
The next stage, the application said, was to conduct tests with a full-size device in sea conditions.
It added: “Once these trials are analysed we can modify or adjust the prototype.”
MPM’s tests are being supported by Britian’s Energy Coast and the University of Cumbria.
John Berry, renewable energy project manager at the University of Cumbria, said funding had been given to MPM to conduct research.
He said that if the project was successful it could have a huge impact on the renewable energy sector in this country and abroad.
He added: “Long term it would not just be something done on the beach front at Maryport.
“It could be expected to have long term benefits for smaller communities around the world, giving them access to power.”
First published at 14:51, Friday, 13 June 2014
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Ofsted criticised by retiring head
- On the trail of woolly characters in Cockermouth
- Lidl pledges to use local firms in Maryport build
- Big ‘yes’ to Lidl store plan
- Lillian to retire so she can do more in the community
- Cumbria County Council chief defends difficult parking policy moves
- Obituary - Mary MacDonald, of Cockermouth
- CAMPAIGN: Help us keep hearts beating strongly in your community
- PHOTOS: Salute West Cumbria's superheroes (1 comment)
- ‘Alfie is my superhero' - Meet the children of the year