Men’s glorious mud challenge
Last updated at 15:31, Friday, 08 November 2013
Meet the “mud men” of Workington – five tough mechanics who have just completed a gruelling challenge to raise £2,000.
The Walkingshaw Warriors, who all work for Walkingshaw at Lillyhall, took part in the NoEgo mud challenge at Penrith to raise funds for Newcastle’s Royal Victoria Infirmary, which treats children suffering from cancer.
Team member Gary Stewart, 29, of West Croft, Seaton, said the decision was prompted by his three-year-old cousin Emily Shutt, of Workington, who is receiving treatment there for leukaemia.
He said: “The course was brilliant. I understood it was going to be wet and miserable but it was really enjoyable.”
His team-mates were Craig Durham, 23, of Derwent Bank, Seaton, Dan Hannon, 21, of Scaw Road, Harrington, Scott Lankester, 26, of Cockfield Drive, Westfield, and Tomos Parry, 23, of Dalzell Gardens, Great Clifton.
Dan said: “We gave it our all, with everyone completing the challenge within an hour and a half.”
The team’s main sponsor was Andrew Walkingshaw, managing director of Walkingshaw Volkswagen and Kia dealerships.
Red Oak Direct, of Distington, provided the team with T-shirts and the Bait Cabin at Distington, Tony Marks with Sophie Ray of Maryport and Sizzling Simon’s catering van also sponsored the event.
Dan said they enjoyed it so much that they would attempt more challenges for charity.
First published at 15:30, Friday, 08 November 2013
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- Workington honours forces heroes
- Workington physics trio scoop science cash
- East 17 head to Workington for Castle Rock
- Worry over future of West Cumbrian lake (1 comment)
- MP supports Workington man’s call for new organ donation system (3 comments)
- Workington school IT course hits problems (3 comments)
- Tributes to ‘one of Maryport’s loveliest men’ (4 comments)
- Workington continental market flops (7 comments)
- Orchids halt Maryport grass cutting (1 comment)
- BBC crew flies in to remake classic film in Cumbria