Music weekend to be held near Cockermouth
Last updated at 07:25, Friday, 04 May 2012
A weekend of live music will begin today at Higham Hall, near Cockermouth.
The event will start with a journey through jazz by Stan Foster, including the music of George Gershwin, Cole Porter and Duke Ellington.
Tomorrow there will be renaissance songs including a recital of English lute songs followed by Charlotte Strachan playing boogie woogie piano.
There will be an evening concert from the Fitzwilliam Quartet.
The weekend will finish on Sunday with a lecture on the history of the Theremin, an instrument that revolutionised electronic music, by Lydia Kavina, the grand niece of its inventor Leon Theremin. It will be followed by a concert performed on the Theremin.
For tickets, call 017687 76276.
First published at 06:10, Friday, 04 May 2012
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- Ofsted criticised by retiring head
- On the trail of woolly characters in Cockermouth
- Lidl pledges to use local firms in Maryport build
- Big ‘yes’ to Lidl store plan
- Lillian to retire so she can do more in the community
- Cumbria County Council chief defends difficult parking policy moves
- Obituary - Mary MacDonald, of Cockermouth
- CAMPAIGN: Help us keep hearts beating strongly in your community
- PHOTOS: Salute West Cumbria's superheroes (1 comment)
- ‘Alfie is my superhero' - Meet the children of the year