Music weekend to be held near Cockermouth
Last updated at 07:25, Friday, 04 May 2012
A weekend of live music will begin today at Higham Hall, near Cockermouth.
The event will start with a journey through jazz by Stan Foster, including the music of George Gershwin, Cole Porter and Duke Ellington.
Tomorrow there will be renaissance songs including a recital of English lute songs followed by Charlotte Strachan playing boogie woogie piano.
There will be an evening concert from the Fitzwilliam Quartet.
The weekend will finish on Sunday with a lecture on the history of the Theremin, an instrument that revolutionised electronic music, by Lydia Kavina, the grand niece of its inventor Leon Theremin. It will be followed by a concert performed on the Theremin.
For tickets, call 017687 76276.
First published at 06:10, Friday, 04 May 2012
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- Workington restaurant becomes first host with Times & Star Heart Start campaign
- Buttermere backs Times & Star defibrillator campaign
- Volunteers learn to save lives through Times & Star campaign
- Times & Star staff and customers back defibrillator campaign
- Search for World War Two trio who helped seize leading Nazi
- Stroke victim Peter praises lifesavers
- Greggs branch closing
- New West Cumbrian bar and bistro will create 20 jobs (2 comments)
- Freeze on Allerdale councillors' allowances (3 comments)
- £2.5m wave energy boost for West Cumbrian firm