Music weekend to be held near Cockermouth
Last updated at 07:25, Friday, 04 May 2012
A weekend of live music will begin today at Higham Hall, near Cockermouth.
The event will start with a journey through jazz by Stan Foster, including the music of George Gershwin, Cole Porter and Duke Ellington.
Tomorrow there will be renaissance songs including a recital of English lute songs followed by Charlotte Strachan playing boogie woogie piano.
There will be an evening concert from the Fitzwilliam Quartet.
The weekend will finish on Sunday with a lecture on the history of the Theremin, an instrument that revolutionised electronic music, by Lydia Kavina, the grand niece of its inventor Leon Theremin. It will be followed by a concert performed on the Theremin.
For tickets, call 017687 76276.
First published at 06:10, Friday, 04 May 2012
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- HAVE YOUR SAY: West Cumbria's answer to Angel of the North
- Lidl plans to open store in Maryport
- Support is growing for Workington bypass demand (6 comments)
- ‘Truly glorious’, says RAF veteran as he soars again
- Time capsule message from Harrington pupils
- Excavation sheds more light on life in Roman Maryport
- Commonwealth baton honour for dairy man
- Classrooms put together in just a day
- Leisure centre go-ahead for Workington (27 comments)
- NEW PHOTOS: Sun shone on Sealy Spyatstock