Music weekend to be held near Cockermouth
Last updated at 07:25, Friday, 04 May 2012
A weekend of live music will begin today at Higham Hall, near Cockermouth.
The event will start with a journey through jazz by Stan Foster, including the music of George Gershwin, Cole Porter and Duke Ellington.
Tomorrow there will be renaissance songs including a recital of English lute songs followed by Charlotte Strachan playing boogie woogie piano.
There will be an evening concert from the Fitzwilliam Quartet.
The weekend will finish on Sunday with a lecture on the history of the Theremin, an instrument that revolutionised electronic music, by Lydia Kavina, the grand niece of its inventor Leon Theremin. It will be followed by a concert performed on the Theremin.
For tickets, call 017687 76276.
First published at 06:10, Friday, 04 May 2012
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- Thieves smash church's World War One window
- Cockermouth Community Hospital officially opened (1 comment)
- Frustrating delay to Megan’s US surgery
- New £1.5 million Cockermouth service station gets the go-ahead
- Mental health charity under threat after funding shock
- Business booming for Claire's Cockermouth coffee shop
- Mourners pay tribute to the life of ‘our little star’
- Two friends with three mountains to conquer
- Isabelle’s joy at surgery go-ahead
- Big ‘yes’ to Lidl store plan