Music weekend to be held near Cockermouth
Last updated at 07:25, Friday, 04 May 2012
A weekend of live music will begin today at Higham Hall, near Cockermouth.
The event will start with a journey through jazz by Stan Foster, including the music of George Gershwin, Cole Porter and Duke Ellington.
Tomorrow there will be renaissance songs including a recital of English lute songs followed by Charlotte Strachan playing boogie woogie piano.
There will be an evening concert from the Fitzwilliam Quartet.
The weekend will finish on Sunday with a lecture on the history of the Theremin, an instrument that revolutionised electronic music, by Lydia Kavina, the grand niece of its inventor Leon Theremin. It will be followed by a concert performed on the Theremin.
For tickets, call 017687 76276.
First published at 06:10, Friday, 04 May 2012
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- Honour the heroes of our communities
- VIDEO: Young film-maker Lee tackles a tough issue
- Man, 36, arrested after serious sexual assault in West Cumbria
- Papcastle mum sets up charity in her front room
- Workington councillor to step down
- Lantern parade to boost West Cumbria town after roadworks
- West Cumbrian school feels a chill for a good cause
- Rocker Dez thinks big to promote his rock night
- A new start for apprentices
- Testing smells at West Cumbria factory (4 comments)