New boxing club opens in Maryport
Last updated at 12:04, Friday, 15 November 2013
A former professional boxer from Flimby has taken on his most important bout to date by setting up a boxing club in Maryport.
Adrian Kirkbride, 42, has opened Nemesis Boxing Club above the Netherhall Old Boys’ Rugby Club on Crosby Street.
Mr Kirkbride, a former light-middleweight boxer, used to run boxing aerobics classes at Jonti’s Gym in Aspatria but was inundated with requests from his students to start his own boxing club.
He has enlisted the help of friend Jimmy Rundle as strength and conditioning coach.
Mr Kirkbride said: “I’ve been given a great opportunity to open my own gym in a town offering so much potential.
“Opening my own club is what I have always wanted to achieve since I retired from boxing.”
He learned to box at Workington Boys’ Club and Carlisle Amateur Boxing Club. He was selected to join the army boxing team while serving in the armed forces in Northern Ireland from 1992 to 2002.
In 1999 he became a professional light-middleweight boxer and competed for two years.
He has around 25 boxers on his books and runs sessions on Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays.
He also runs two boxing aerobics classes on Wednesdays.
First published at 11:34, Friday, 15 November 2013
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
Have your say
Brilliant idea and i wish Adrian & Jimmy, along with there Students, all the very best, Maryport is a great Town, as are the surrounding Villages, this opportunity should be taken, & used, to their advantage to showcase what Talent there is in the area,good luck Lads.
Make your comment
- New Taste Cumbria food fair launched
- Woman, 50, found dead in Maryport
- Solfest is back with a bang! (1 comment)
- An appointment with the doctor in Aspatria
- Call for more cyclists to join Team Townend Challenge
- Beauty beats bullies with dress design
- Lulu named as Maryport Blues Festival headliner (6 comments)
- Polar bear photo in top exhibition
- Design a Cockermouth cake
- UK first for West Cumbrian factory in prostate cancer fight (2 comments)