New community centre is for the whole town
Last updated at 15:02, Friday, 13 June 2014
A new community centre to serve the whole of Cockermouth will open tomorrow.
The Highfield Community Association has turned the old changing rooms building, off Highfield Road, into a hub for the community.
The association took over the lease of the building, owned by Allerdale council, last November.
It had planned to open it in April but, according to association chairman Robert Chapman, there was more work to be done than they had expected.
The members had to replace water pipes and install new windows.
They have kept two changing rooms for use by Highfield Football Club.
Two further changing rooms were knocked through to create a bigger main room and kitchen.
The work has cost about £6,000 in grant money.
Mr Chapman, of Wasdale Close, said: “There’s been lots of sweat and blood but no tears yet. It could not be better, and we are absolutely thrilled to bits.
“Everybody has been behind us, and we cannot thank the Highfield estate residents enough.”
A kitchen has been donated, as well as paint, furniture, crockery and glasses.
The group plans to hold regular morning coffee and afternoon tea sessions for pensioners, and parent and child groups.
Organisations such as Age UK and housing association Your Derwent & Solway will also be invited to hold drop-in sessions.
Everyone is welcome to the opening, at 2pm tomorrow. Refreshments will be served and people are invited to look around and suggest how the building could be used.
Mr Chapman hopes more volunteers will come forward to boost the 11-person committee.
First published at 15:00, Friday, 13 June 2014
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
Have your say
Well done to all those involved.
Make your comment
- Go-ahead for 320-home Cockermouth estate (11 comments)
- Pupils' plea for new lollipop man or woman
- Double retirement at Aspatria's Beacon Hill School
- Pharmacy opening times over Christmas and new year
- Council services during festive period
- Search for family of VC hero ahead of memorial event
- Anger at closure of town register office
- Man airlifted to hospital after major fall in Workington
- Controversial Cockermouth housing estate plans given go ahead by Allerdale council (2 comments)
- West Cumbrian road closed as water main bursts