New date for Maryport trawler race
Last updated at 19:40, Thursday, 05 July 2012
Maryport's recently cancelled trawler race will go ahead next month – but the town’s harbour festival has been postponed until next year.
The annual trawler race, which was called off last month because of bad weather, will go ahead on Saturday, August 4, from about 1pm.
Meanwhile, organisers the Solway Trust agreed that the harbour festival, which was also forced off because of atrocious conditions, will not take place this year. Instead, preparations will begin for a bigger event next year.
Gary Hampson, one of the trawler race organisers, believed that most of the trawlers that were ready to compete on June 23 would be happy to return.
They will follow a new course in the Solway Firth which allows them to be seen throughout from all points of the harbour.
The Solway Trust met on Tuesday and then issued a statement which said: “West Cumbria’s social calendar was becoming increasingly congested over the coming weeks, with some great events and shows taking place throughout Cumbria.
“It is of our opinion that local events and festivals should complement each other to promote West Cumbria, rather than vie for attention.
“So the committee decided not to consider any other dates this year, but look forward to a spectacular event next year.”
Ticket holders who need a refund should take their wristbands to where they bought them.
Many tickets were sold for a duck race with a £100 prize, which will now be held on the day of the trawler race.
The trust thanked sponsors and local people for their “fantastic support”.
First published at 19:21, Thursday, 05 July 2012
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- You look like that man off the TV!
- Farmer keeps 260ft turbine bid in motion with appeal (2 comments)
- Workington arson victim fears mistaken identity
- June 11 launch for West Cumbria flood defences
- Workington store closing (1 comment)
- Fish factory axes 40 jobs after loss of key contract (1 comment)
- Wedding guest left for dead after Workington hit and run
- Don't forget to pick up next week's Times & Star!
- Obituary - Richard Wimpress, of Cockermouth
- Herdwick given EU protected status