New film with scenes around Keswick hits the big screen
Last updated at 15:56, Friday, 07 December 2012
Popular Lake District tourist spots will hit the big screen today in a dark new comedy film.
Sightseers, which opens in cinemas today, follows a couple on a road trip across the north of England.
The Lakes becomes the backdrop for a series of dark encounters.
The Cumberland Pencil Museum in Keswick, Castlerigg Stone Circle and Honister Pass all feature.
The movie has been directed by Ben Wheatley and was screened to widespread acclaim at the Cannes Film Festival.
Co-writer and star Steve Oram said: “There are very few films that celebrate these tourist locations and we hoped they’d be quite evocative.
“Some of the places were insanely dramatic and beautiful.
“Why go abroad when you’ve got the whole of the UK at your fingertips?”
Ian Stephens, managing director of Cumbria Tourism, said: “Films of this quality only serve to enhance Cumbria’s reputation.”
First published at 14:33, Friday, 07 December 2012
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Obituary - Mary Burkett OBE, of Isel Hall
- Into the lion's den - a West Cumbrian's man rags-to-riches tale
- ‘Bill Barker will always be our hero’
- Maryport's Bill Barnes wins top community award
- Peek inside new caves
- West Cumbrian community stranded by tough bus cuts
- West Cumbrian family praise air ambulance
- Howdens remains closed after man's death
- People power wins fight on parking charges
- Settlement reached over lab man’s asbestos death
- Mission to lure tourists to Cumbria from China
- Wine festival drums up business for Cumbrian pub
- New managing director announced for Sellafield
- College focuses on honing science skills for industry
- Teen forges metalwork role
- Findings give GSK healthy lead in access to medicines
- New Sellafield boss has ‘unrivalled knowledge’
- First job as cook paved way for a cottage industry
- Hotspots for employment
- Firms win new fans through backing for football club site
- Firefighters extinguished Barrow flat blaze in the early hours
- Police appeal after rider knocked off moped in Barrow
- Knifeman who made threats to kill lover jailed by Carlisle court
- Police hunt for 'high risk' missing Cumbrian teenager
- X Factor winner Matt Cardle and a host of stars shine at biggest Barrow Christmas Lights Switch On
- Cyclist needed stitches after Cumbria collision
- Carlisle singer's group voted out of X Factor
- Fell runner attacked by man with stick in Cumbria
- Hospital services fight song for sale on iTunes
- Courageous cancer battler cheered by tumour news