New manager at West Cumbria museum
Last updated at 12:16, Friday, 15 November 2013
A Workington woman has swapped the aisles of Marks & Spencer for a new challenge at the town’s Helena Thompson Museum.
A WORKINGTON woman has swapped the aisles of Marks & Spencer for a new challenge at the town’s Helena Thompson Museum.
Patricia Poole, 47, of Ashton Street, who worked in the Pow Street store for more than 30 years, is the new full-time manager of the museum and community centre.
The mother-of-three will oversee the redevelopment of the Park End Road venue.
Patricia said: “One of the directors of the museum approached me when I was in store and said ‘How would you like to be the new manager?’”
Helen Fowler, of the Workington Heritage Group, said: “Tricia will be the catalyst that will take the existing developments and proposed developments and facilities forward, helping to make it a sustainable business.”
Pat Hall, volunteer and former part-time manager, will continue to work on the education side of the business.
Patricia will focus on consolidating the venue’s social and community links.
She has considerable experience of fund-raising and organising community events, which will prove essential in the role.
A proposed education zone at the museum is in the running for a £50,000 grant in the People’s Millions vote on ITV on November 27.
First published at 11:52, Friday, 15 November 2013
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Welcome present for West Cumbrian drivers as petrol prices drop
- Crosby woman Jude’s is a model life she’s happy to see up on a wall
- Christmas shoppers brave West Cumbrian storm for late presents
- Workington Reds bid for big points haul from festive games
- Cockermouth homes protestors go to the ombudsman
- Santa brings early Christmas cheer to Maryport
- West Cumbrian students launch a space mission
- Potter throws last clay as Cockermouth shop is sold
- Strictly Kirkgate raised £5,000 for Cockermouth arts centre project
- Match day flowers tribute to Workington Town scoreboard man