Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Friday, 03 July 2015

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Obituary - George Fisher, of Great Clifton

George William Fisher, the oldest resident of Workington’s Stilecroft Residential Home in Stainburn, has died aged 103.

georgefisher 1306
POPULAR: George Fisher

Mr Fisher, known as Geordie, claimed that rum, smoking a pipe and the company of a good woman were among the secrets to long life.

He died at the West Cumberland Hospital, Whitehaven, last Thursday and his funeral was held yesterday at St Luke’s Church, Bridgefoot.

Mr Fisher was born at home in Lowther Street, Great Clifton, to parents Annie and Isaac Fisher.

He had three sisters Florrie, Julia and Hannah.

He left school at 14 and worked with the ponies at William Pit, Great Clifton, before moving to London to work in the hotel trade, where he met his future wife Peggy.

The couple moved to West Cumbria in 1940 and settled at Stoneycroft, Great Clifton.

They married the following year at St Luke’s Church, Bridgefoot, and were together until Mrs Fisher’s death 10 years ago. Mr Fisher moved to Stilecroft three years ago.

He worked as a builder for Thomas Armstrong and at the former munitions dump at Broughton Moor before retiring at 65.

When he was younger he regularly walked from Cockermouth to Clifton, stopping at every pub on the way.

He was invited to officially reopen Bridgefoot’s Duke of Cumberland Inn in 2013.

His niece Eva Ackerlay said: “He was very private but a popular man and he had loads of friends.

“He had a really good life and thoroughly enjoyed himself.

“He loved dancing at Workington British Legion and liked to go for long country walks when he was younger.

“He always said walking and fresh air were important to keep you healthy. He liked to be active and kept himself as fit as a fiddle.

“Even after he retired he would volunteer at local farms and help them with the crops.

“His favourite thing to do was go for a half pint of John Smith’s. Every Tuesday we would go down to the Henry Bessemer pub in Workington and he would have a half with a tot of rum.”

He is survived by Mrs Ackerlay and her husband Robert, four other nieces and nephews and great, great-great and great-great-great nieces and nephews.


Hot jobs
Search for:


Would you consider cancelling your holiday abroad following the events in Tunisia?



Show Result