Oscars night at Hunday Manor
Published at 11:49, Friday, 16 November 2012
PEOPLE will have the chance to dazzle at Workington’s very own Oscars theme night next Friday.
The glitzy event at Hunday Manor will raise money for Hospice at Home West Cumbria.
Organisers hope to attract 100 people who can wear glamorous evening wear, fancy dress or ordinary clothing.
There will be a presentation of Oscar-style awards to the best dressed, and it is hoped that the event will raise £1,000 for the charity.
The red carpet evening has been organised by hospice supporters Dennis Lydon and Michaela Ashby.
Mr Lydon got involved two years ago with the charity which had supported best friend Bob Burns, of Brigham, before he died of mesothelioma.
Last year he organised a Day at Royal Ascot event in Dean, raising more than £1,000.
He said: “We hope to see all kinds of people at the Oscars night, including those who may lose someone to cancer and others who have gone through cancer themselves.
“They don’t have to dress up, though. They can come in normal clothes if they wish.
“If the night is successful then it could become a yearly event.”
There will be surprise awards and a raffle with auction prizes donated by charity president Lord Judd.
Mr Lydon added: “It’s coming up to Christmas and it can be a very hard time for some people.
“This gives them the opportunity to come along, relax and have fun.”
Tickets for the 7.30pm event cost £20 and include live music and a two-course meal.
They are available from the hospice on 01900 873173, Mr Lydon on 01946 862509 and Tea and Tranquility in Cockermouth on 01900 827752.
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- Workington's Emily is still smiling
- 100 jobs masterplan revealed by M-Sport
- Mutiny on Cockermouth's Main Street (3 comments)
- Workington road will close for resurfacing (1 comment)
- Gilcrux pub to reopen after flood
- Workington care home admissions suspended
- Piglet boom at West Cumbria animal park
- Pulling in beer lovers in Workington
- Council is selling Workington's Old Rectory
- Woman found dead in Workington toilet named