Pair filmed running from Workington fire
Published at 12:44, Friday, 04 July 2014
Two people have been captured on camera running from the scene of a suspected arson attack at a tyre depot in Workington.
Police said there was CCTV footage of two men running from the site of the fire at ATS Euromaster, in Annie Pit Lane.
The blaze broke out last Saturday on land at the back of the unit.
It is believed to have been started between 9pm and 9.35pm, when firefighters were called. It caused damage to scrap tyres in a compound next to the building.
Mike Pollard, site manager, said: “If it had spread to the building, things could have been really bad and caused a substantial amount of damage.
“When I was called down there was a lot of smoke bellowing from where the tyres were. The fire brigade got things under control very quickly.”
A police spokeswoman said the incident was being treated as arson after firefighters confirmed that it was started by a small rubbish fire which spread to the tyre compound.
She said: “CCTV has been checked and it appears to be showing that two males were running off.
“There has also been damage to some training equipment at the site. The main damage is to a large amount of black rubber tyres.
“It has come very close to the building, within 15 yards. It could have been a lot worse.”
Anyone with information should call police on 101.
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- Support is growing for Workington bypass demand
- ‘Truly glorious’, says RAF veteran as he soars again
- Time capsule message from Harrington pupils
- Excavation sheds more light on life in Roman Maryport
- Commonwealth baton honour for dairy man
- Classrooms put together in just a day
- Leisure centre go-ahead for Workington (19 comments)
- NEW PHOTOS: Sun shone on Sealy Spyatstock
- Day out at Maryport for Iggesund golfers
- Frank built 42-year career with West Cumbrian construction company