Pair filmed running from Workington fire
Published at 12:44, Friday, 04 July 2014
Two people have been captured on camera running from the scene of a suspected arson attack at a tyre depot in Workington.
Police said there was CCTV footage of two men running from the site of the fire at ATS Euromaster, in Annie Pit Lane.
The blaze broke out last Saturday on land at the back of the unit.
It is believed to have been started between 9pm and 9.35pm, when firefighters were called. It caused damage to scrap tyres in a compound next to the building.
Mike Pollard, site manager, said: “If it had spread to the building, things could have been really bad and caused a substantial amount of damage.
“When I was called down there was a lot of smoke bellowing from where the tyres were. The fire brigade got things under control very quickly.”
A police spokeswoman said the incident was being treated as arson after firefighters confirmed that it was started by a small rubbish fire which spread to the tyre compound.
She said: “CCTV has been checked and it appears to be showing that two males were running off.
“There has also been damage to some training equipment at the site. The main damage is to a large amount of black rubber tyres.
“It has come very close to the building, within 15 yards. It could have been a lot worse.”
Anyone with information should call police on 101.
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- West Cumbria housing estate scheme gets green light
- Maryport take-away plans approved
- Controversial Workington cross can stay (1 comment)
- Workington man wins fight to keep 9ft-high crucifix (8 comments)
- New Taste Cumbria food fair launched
- Woman, 50, found dead in Maryport
- An appointment with the doctor in Aspatria
- Call for more cyclists to join Team Townend Challenge
- Beauty beats bullies with dress design
- Lulu named as Maryport Blues Festival headliner (7 comments)