Residents against more homes on new development
Last updated at 13:17, Friday, 31 January 2014
People living on a new housing development in Workington have launched a petition to stop any more homes being built there.
Residents of the Forgehill Park estate, which was built by Persimmon Homes off Mossbay Road, said they found out by chance that the company wanted to expand the site.
In 2011 permission was granted to build 92 homes there.
Forty-three have so far been built and Persimmon has now submitted plans for the northern end of the site, increasing the overall number to 107.
Michael Bell, 41, of Railbank Drive, set up the petition after seeing a notice of an amended application by Persimmon stuck to a lamppost at the entrance to the park.
Thirty-nine people living on the estate have signed the protest, which was handed to Allerdale council this week.
Mr Bell, who moved into his four-bedroom house last June, said: “We haven’t been consulted and Persimmon have changed the plans since I bought my home.
“I was amazed at how many people on this estate were not aware of it. We would like more information about what’s going on.”
So far 43 of the homes have been sold, and seven reserved.
Mr Bell said the estate’s access road was horrendous because of the traffic volume on Mossbay Road.
He said he wanted to know what was happening with Persimmon’s plans to improve the access from the estate onto Mossbay Road, which included new traffic lights.
The new plan features 18 two-bedroom flats, 10 three-bedroom houses, four two-bedroom houses and two houses with four or more bedrooms.
Five letters of objection have been sent to Allerdale council.
Mark Cook, managing director of Persimmon Homes Lancashire, said: “We are sorry if any local resident does not feel fully informed about plans at Forgehill Park.”
He said all plans went through the correct public notice procedures and the company’s marketing literature made it clear that plans may be subject to change due to market or ground conditions.
He added: “Road improvement works required by the planning consent are being met.
“Junction proposals for Mossbay Road have been agreed with Cumbria County Council and we are shortly to start works to enable the council to carry out traffic-calming measures along the street.”
First published at 13:14, Friday, 31 January 2014
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- PHOTOS: Downies clinch second game in Workington series
- GET INVOLVED: Uppies and Downies game three
- PHOTOS: Downies swing first victory against Uppies
- A66 at Keswick reopens after two-vehicle crash A66
- Pub back on tap after flood
- Restaurant now on the menu for cafe owners
- Doubts over new Aspatria rock festival
- Heat turned up in bid for lower energy bills
- Petition protest over plan for more homes on estate
- Old church has another new owner (1 comment)