Roman dig begins in Maryport
Last updated at 20:05, Thursday, 21 June 2012
Work began this week to try to unearth the mystery of a monumental structure which appears to have stood at the top of Maryport.
The Senhouse Roman Museum Trust and Newcastle University have started the second year of excavation of the Hadrian’s Wall Trust-owned Camp Farm.
Last year’s excavation turned history on its head when it was discovered that a cache of 17 altars, believed to have been buried as a religious ritual, may have been used as building material in the foundations of a large building.
Professor Ian Haynes, excavation director and chair of archaeology at Newcastle University, said: “Last year we destroyed one story. Now we are finding another.”
He said: “We have welcomed back some of the same team who gelled so well last year.
“We have a longer season and we are already about ten days ahead. It is exciting.”
Site director Tony Wilmott, who was named archaeologist of the year last year, has returned to lead the team of volunteers who will work all summer.
Jane Laskey, Senhouse museum curator, said the excavations last year resulted in a significant increase in visitor numbers and she expected an even greater impact this year.
The Senhouse Trust has committed £60,000 to this year’s excavation.
There has also been a £1,000 donation from the Mouswald Trust, and portable cabins have been donated by Thomas Armstrong Ltd.
Work started days after Hadrian’s Wall Trust admitted that it had failed in its bid to obtain funding for its proposed Roman Maryport visitor and exhibition centre.
Director Dr Nigel Mills said the trust was still committed to the project and the findings of the excavation could only help.
First published at 19:21, Thursday, 21 June 2012
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
Have your say
The opening paragraph says that the dig is at the top of Maryport but the accompanying photo seems to suggest it is out in the countryside. It would be helpful if a Google Earth/Map link was there so we could see where this excavation actually is. I remember when at Workington Grammar School in the early 1960's being taken by the school to a new Roman dig on the southern outskirts of Carlisle (I think it may have been during the digging for foundations of a new school)and have always wondered since what was eventually uncovered. Has anyone any knowledge?
Make your comment
- Don't forget to pick up this week's Times & Star!
- You look like that man off the TV!
- Farmer keeps 260ft turbine bid in motion with appeal (3 comments)
- Workington arson victim fears mistaken identity
- June 11 launch for West Cumbria flood defences
- Workington store closing (1 comment)
- Fish factory axes 40 jobs after loss of key contract (1 comment)
- Wedding guest left for dead after Workington hit and run
- Obituary - Richard Wimpress, of Cockermouth
- Herdwick given EU protected status