Royal approval for local news
Last updated at 20:43, Thursday, 24 May 2012
Visting regions across the United Kingdom during this diamond jubilee year, Prince Philip and I have been struck by the way that in towns, villages and cities, people have found that their community can be an important source of strength and support.
Local and regional newspapers are a fundamental part of the fabric of our communities and we should celebrate the important contribution they make to highlighting the issues and achievements of their particular area.
Through their reporting, local newspapers such as the Times & Star act as a voice for their readers and a focus for all.
Britain’s regional media has also played an admirable role in helping communities to follow the fortunes of their local heroes – the athletes who will represent our nation at the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games.
Their endeavours should be a source of inspiration to us all.
I hope that both the Diamond Jubilee and the London Olympics will give people renewed cause for optimism and a reason to come together in celebration of what we can all achieve as a country.
I am delighted to give this message of support to this year’s Local Newspaper Week.
I wish both local newspapers and their readers every success in the future.
l Local Newspaper Week, organised by the Newspaper Society, highlights how local newspapers are helping communities come together in celebration in the run up to two important national events – the Diamond Jubilee and London 2012 Olympics.
First published at 19:21, Thursday, 24 May 2012
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- Schools league table results published
- Workington restaurant becomes first host with Times & Star Heart Start campaign
- Buttermere backs Times & Star defibrillator campaign
- Volunteers learn to save lives through Times & Star campaign
- Times & Star staff and customers back defibrillator campaign
- Search for World War Two trio who helped seize leading Nazi
- Stroke victim Peter praises lifesavers
- Greggs branch closing (2 comments)
- New West Cumbrian bar and bistro will create 20 jobs (2 comments)
- Freeze on Allerdale councillors' allowances (4 comments)