Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Wednesday, 03 June 2015

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Seaton toddler in brush with death

A two-year-old girl was almost crushed to death by a loose mantelpiece.

FREAK ACCIDENT: Two-year-old Pixie Skye Gunson recovering at home with brother Rossi Gunson, six, mum Michelle Gunson and dad Barrie Goodfellow

Pixie Skye Gunson was reaching for a pen on top of the mantelpiece at her grandmother Jacky Simpson’s home in Frances Croft, Workington, when it toppled onto her.

The incident happened on August 28 and her injuries included multiple fractures to her skull and a shattered left eye socket and jaw.

She was flown to the Royal Victoria Infirmary in Newcastle, where she remained on life support for two days. Doctors feared she would contract meningitis, due to fluid leaking from her skull, and she was given antibiotics.

Her condition improved and she was released from hospital on September 4.

However, she has been left deaf in one ear and faces a series of tests in November to determine if she has any other lasting injuries.

Mum Michelle Gunson, 29, of Brookside, Seaton, said: “When I first saw Pixie under the mantelpiece I thought she had gone.

“My friend pulled it off her and I scooped her up in my arms.

“She was covered in blood at the time. It was gushing from her ears and nose, it was unstoppable.

“She started gurgling and stopped breathing twice. I was hysterical. I thought I’d lost her.”

Family friends Gregg and Garry Mounsey, Matthew Todd and Stephen Hughes, of Maryport, will attempt the C2C next Saturday to raise cash for the Great North Air Ambulance and Crawford House, where the family stayed when Pixie was at the Royal Victoria Infirmary.

Pixie’s dad Barrie Goodfellow, 32, of Catherine Street, Maryport, who works for Ashcroft Plant in Dearham, said: “I am still trying to come to terms with it. It hasn’t sunk in yet. We were petrified.

“We’re grateful to everyone who has shown their support, including our parents who travelled from Cumbria every day to see Pixie.

“Everyone has said it’s a miracle that she is still here.”

Have your say

Be the first to comment on this article!

Make your comment

Your name

Your Email

Your Town/City

Your comment


Hot jobs
Search for:


Does cricketer Ben Stokes have the potential to become the next Ian Botham?



Show Result