VIDEOS: Car parks gone as storms change coastline’s shape
Last updated at 12:50, Friday, 10 January 2014
Three car parks have been washed away and the coastline driven back by up to 10 yards after storms battered Maryport.
The Blue Dial and Crosscanonby car parks and one near Maryport Golf Club will never be replaced because they have been washed away.
Dr Brian Irving, of the Solway Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, has warned people not to use remaining unofficial car parks as they may be unsafe.
Dr Irving said: “We have lost an average of three yards of coastline and in some places 10 yards have been washed away.
“We can’t replace the car parks because there is nothing to build on. They have gone.”
He urged people not to use unofficial car parks off the B5300 because they cannot be considered safe due to the soft banks and erosion.
He added: “We have been talking to Allerdale council’s coastal engineers and we will be closing off the unsafe car parks.
“None of them were ever official car parks. They were just places that became car parks because people stopped there.”
He said the physical closures would happen once other priorities had been met.
People are also being warned to keep off the boardwalks at Mawbray because they are unstable and unsafe.
Sand dunes were breached in places but Dr Irving said there was no threat to wildlife or habitats.
He said it was impossible to estimate the cost of coastal damage.
He added: “We are going to have to look at a programme of works to stop the erosion advancing any further.”
Maryport Golf Club suffered major damage to holes one, two, three and 16
But, thanks to a huge volunteer effort, the club has reopened.
The course was littered with massive boulders and debris.
Jim Wood, club secretary, said boulders left by the waves had now been moved and the debris taken away by Allerdale council.
Mr Wood said the club had no estimated cost of repairs.
Meanwhile, it is hoped that the coastal railway line, closed after tidal surges destroyed 400 yards of sea wall and track, will reopen on Monday.
The line between Workington and Carlisle has been closed since Friday after high tides washed away parts of the wall and track between Siddick and Flimby.
Rail workers have been spending 24 hours a day trying to get the line reopened for Monday morning. Around 50 workers have been undertaking 12-hour shifts to rebuild the sea wall and reinstate track.
Four-thousand tonnes of rock was transported from a Shap quarry to rebuild sea defences.
Services between Workington and Barrow resumed on Monday but replacement buses will run between Workington and Carlisle over the weekend.
First published at 12:37, Friday, 10 January 2014
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- Bid to call-in Workington leisure centre plans fail (2 comments)
- Free Boxing Day bus services announced
- Obituary - Mary Burkett OBE, of Isel Hall
- Into the lion's den - a West Cumbrian's man rags-to-riches tale
- ‘Bill Barker will always be our hero’
- Maryport's Bill Barnes wins top community award
- Peek inside new caves
- West Cumbrian community stranded by tough bus cuts (1 comment)
- West Cumbrian family praise air ambulance
- Howdens remains closed after man's death