Paralympics West Cumbrian hopeful plea
Last updated at 22:47, Thursday, 13 January 2011
A Cockermouth teenager is appealing to the community for sponsorship to help him train for the Paralympics in 2012.
Grant Taylor, 16, of Derwent Mills, has been swimming for two years and is being coached by Cockermouth Swimming Club’s Sean Balmer.
Grant, a year 11 pupil at Cockermouth School, who was diagnosed with a rare condition - distal spinal muscular atrophy - when he was 10 years old, said he needs the funding to help pay for his travel costs and training equipment.
Grant said: “I’ve always been a really good swimmer but I got really serious about it in November last year.
“I think the thing that really inspired me was going to Bath Paralympic talent day in 2009 and seeing all the great swimmers and thinking I want to be like that.
“I hope to compete in the nationals held in Sheffield in February and then go on to international championship heats held in Sheffield in April.
“I then hope to get a fast enough time to put me through to the European Championships in Germany in July.”
Grant narrowly missed out on competing in the Commonwealth Games but still has a chance of qualifying for the Paralymics after setting personal bests at the DSE National Championships at Ponds Forge, Sheffield, in November.
He won two silver medals for the 400 metre relay and two bronze medals, one for 400 metres freestyle and one for 50 metres backstroke.
Grant said: “It would mean everything for me to get a fast enough time and be able to get through to the Olympics and I’m going to work as hard as I can.”
People can donate money to Grant by phoning 01900 824966.
First published at 19:38, Thursday, 13 January 2011
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- You look like that man off the TV!
- Farmer keeps 260ft turbine bid in motion with appeal (2 comments)
- Workington arson victim fears mistaken identity
- June 11 launch for West Cumbria flood defences
- Workington store closing (1 comment)
- Fish factory axes 40 jobs after loss of key contract (1 comment)
- Wedding guest left for dead after Workington hit and run
- Don't forget to pick up next week's Times & Star!
- Obituary - Richard Wimpress, of Cockermouth
- Herdwick given EU protected status