Village gets energy-saving help from wind farm community fund
Last updated at 07:39, Friday, 14 November 2008
FUND-RAISERS have worked hard to keep Little Clifton Village Hall warm this winter, while keeping their energy bills low.
They raised more than £8,000 from the Winscales Moor Wind Farm Community Fund to ensure that the hall will be kept heated over the festive period.
Fund-raiser Josie Dixon said: “Over the past year we have made great strides to reduce our fuel bills and energy use.
“We have already replaced our old boiler and installed double glazed windows.
“The new roof and loft insulation will be the last major expense.
“It is good news that the grant will pay for the whole lot because it means we can get on and do the work straight away. It should be done before Christmas.”
It is the first project to reap rewards from the Winscales Moor Wind Farm Community Fund.
The fund was set up this year by Your Energy Ltd, developers of the seven-turbine Winscales Moor Wind Farm now under construction, to support community projects in the parishes of Winscales, Great Clifton and Little Clifton over the 25-year lifetime of the wind farm.
Alexandra Bowers, development manager for Your Energy, said: “We are excited about our first community project at Winscales Moor, which has received funding even before the wind farm has finished construction.”
Groups with community projects that could benefit from future funding can contact Deb Muscat from Cumbria Community Foundation on 01900 825760 or deb@cumbriafoundation. org
First published at 19:29, Thursday, 13 November 2008
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- Man, 36, arrested after serious sexual assault in West Cumbria
- Papcastle mum sets up charity in her front room
- Workington councillor to step down
- Lantern parade to boost West Cumbria town after roadworks
- West Cumbrian school feels a chill for a good cause
- Rocker Dez thinks big to promote his rock night
- A new start for apprentices
- Testing smells at West Cumbria factory (4 comments)
- Fury over possible sale of war memorial land (2 comments)
- Talks continue over Workington slag banks crucifix (13 comments)