Volunteers step forward to aid Workington dance school
Last updated at 16:35, Friday, 08 August 2014
People power has helped to transform an empty Workington building into a dance school.
About 30 volunteers helped Maria Pattinson to revamp part of a former Workington Sixth Form building at Moorclose into a centre for her Maria Frances School of Dance.
Maria hopes all that work on the new Studio 9 Dance and Fitness Centre will be completed by early next month.
A former art department on the ground floor will become a dance studio, changing rooms and dance wear shop.
The project has cost around £15,000, funded through grants and donations.
Maria, who grew up in Workington, said: “I’m so grateful for all of the help from the volunteers. They have said they will be back to help out this weekend.
“I want to provide people in Moorclose and the wider community with something they can use and be proud of.”
Paint was donated by Steve’s Paints and tiles came from Horizon, on Clay Flatts.
The studio will teach a variety of dance, Zumba, Pilates and performing arts.
It is now looking for grants and funding to turn a first floor room into a dance studio.
First published at 15:24, Friday, 08 August 2014
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Bid to install defibrillators in phone boxes
- CN Group Business Awards launched
- Tuck in to Eats!
- Settlement fears over bid to move admin staff
- Police to move from Marvejols Park base
- New-look pub open
- £500,000 for major upgrade at care home
- New boost for Workington centre’s development
- 80-year-old twins celebrate birthday
- Organiser Gary to launch yet another trawler race weekend