Water pumped away from Maryport homes
Last updated at 12:15, Monday, 24 February 2014
Water is being pumped away from homes on a Maryport estate after a culvert became blocked this morning.
Firefighters and the Environment Agency were called at about 3am to pump water away from houses at Elbra Farm Close after a nearby culvert has become blocked.
An Environment Agency spokesman said that seven houses were at risk of being flooded and four pumps were being used to divert water away from the homes.
It’s the second time in three months the estate has been flooded.
It was flooded on December 30 after a pipe collapsed in the culvert which runs behind some of the homes.
The Environment Agency had been monitoring the culvert since then and was drawing up plans to fix it, but heavy rainfall over the weekend blocked the culvert again.
A 47-year-old resident, whose garage was flooded in December and again this morning, has questioned why the estate has been allowed to flood again so quickly after the last time.
She said: “I woke up this morning and I thought ‘not again’. Why has it happened again? The Environment Agency were supposed to be monitoring it. It shouldn’t have happened.”
Tools, a pool table, furniture and other items stored in her garage have been damaged during the two incidents but none of the water has entered her home.
It is understood that no other houses have been flooded.
One fire engine was called out to help pump water but firefighters then handed the matter over to the Environment Agency.
First published at 12:03, Monday, 24 February 2014
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- Father leads fight to save St Bees School
- Chris to lead artistic way at Cockermouth's Kirkgate Centre
- Seaton allotments owner taking holders to court
- ‘Baby Elliott pulled through and now we want to say thanks’
- Workington’s new pub opens next week
- Salute for British Legion stalwart in branch appeal
- Action group to raise A596 report findings
- West Cumbrian consultant in ‘fat cat’ pay claim media storm
- Takeaway set to cook up a treat in Maryport
- Workington MP hopefuls face public questions (1 comment)