Water pumped away from Maryport homes
Last updated at 12:15, Monday, 24 February 2014
Water is being pumped away from homes on a Maryport estate after a culvert became blocked this morning.
Firefighters and the Environment Agency were called at about 3am to pump water away from houses at Elbra Farm Close after a nearby culvert has become blocked.
An Environment Agency spokesman said that seven houses were at risk of being flooded and four pumps were being used to divert water away from the homes.
It’s the second time in three months the estate has been flooded.
It was flooded on December 30 after a pipe collapsed in the culvert which runs behind some of the homes.
The Environment Agency had been monitoring the culvert since then and was drawing up plans to fix it, but heavy rainfall over the weekend blocked the culvert again.
A 47-year-old resident, whose garage was flooded in December and again this morning, has questioned why the estate has been allowed to flood again so quickly after the last time.
She said: “I woke up this morning and I thought ‘not again’. Why has it happened again? The Environment Agency were supposed to be monitoring it. It shouldn’t have happened.”
Tools, a pool table, furniture and other items stored in her garage have been damaged during the two incidents but none of the water has entered her home.
It is understood that no other houses have been flooded.
One fire engine was called out to help pump water but firefighters then handed the matter over to the Environment Agency.
First published at 12:03, Monday, 24 February 2014
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- Workington Hall safety work begins
- PHOTOS: Troops march into the heart of Maryport
- Wreath mission to war graves of town’s fallen
- Garage beauty salon’s 10 years
- Keswick's former pencil factory to be sold
- Gary the Ferret’s big day out leads to uproar on bus
- Bid to replace vandalised seating
- Judge tells allotment holders to leave in six weeks
- Traders in TV advert push to promote town (2 comments)
- Friends plan party to remember Chloe at 21