West Cumbria amateurs eye top awards
Last updated at 20:30, Thursday, 01 March 2012
The cream of West Cumbria’s amateur dramatic groups have been shortlisted in prestigious regional awards.
The National Operatic and Dramatic Association North West Awards are known as the “Oscars” of the am dram world and productions from across the area are in the running for honours.
Keswick Amateur Operatic Society has been shortlisted in two categories.
Its production of Cabaret, performed at the town’s Theatre by the Lake last May, has been nominated for the best staging of a musical award and Jenni Thorton, who played the show’s heroine Sally Bowles, was named as a contender for best leading female actor in a musical.
Workington Amateur Operatic Society’s Gareth Douglas Brown was Tevye in the group’s production of Fiddler On The Roof at the Carnegie Theatre in September and is in the running for best leading male actor.
The best drama category includes Cockermouth Amateur Dramatics’ version of The Regina Monologues, an edgy comedy which brought the stories of Henry VIII’s wives into the 21st century, which was at the Kirkgate Centre in July.
But it is not just the actors who are in line for gongs.
Stephen Hunter-Brown has been nominated for best musical direction for Workington Amateur Operatic Society.
Clark Wilkinson, of Maryport Amateur Operatic Dramatic Society, has been shortlisted for best artistic direction of a musical for The Drowsy Chaperone, which was put on at Maryport’s Wave Centre last September.
The awards will be announced at a ceremony on May 6 in Blackpool.
First published at 19:23, Thursday, 01 March 2012
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- West Cumbria housing estate scheme gets green light
- Maryport take-away plans approved
- Controversial Workington cross can stay (1 comment)
- Workington man wins fight to keep 9ft-high crucifix (7 comments)
- New Taste Cumbria food fair launched
- Woman, 50, found dead in Maryport
- An appointment with the doctor in Aspatria
- Call for more cyclists to join Team Townend Challenge
- Beauty beats bullies with dress design
- Lulu named as Maryport Blues Festival headliner (7 comments)