West Cumbria weekend cycling event cancelled
Last updated at 09:29, Friday, 13 September 2013
Sunday's Jennings Rivers Ride, due to start and finish in Keswick, has been postponed due to the weather.
High winds and torrential rains have been forecast.
Andy Beeforth, chief executive of Cumbria Community Foundation, said: “Rider safety is paramount and the combination of high winds and heavy rains means it is not appropriate to hold the event.
“We have taken this decision following advice from Rather Be Cycling our cycling logistics support partners.
“The event involves routes which cross high level Lake District mountain passes and also a family ride involving young children.
“We have not taken this decision lightly and we know that some riders will be disappointed but we would prefer to postpone the event now and hold it on a day when people came be both safe and have a more enjoyable ride.”
It is hoped a new date will be announced shortly.
First published at 09:22, Friday, 13 September 2013
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- Coal mining memorial planned for town centre
- Free surprise as Julie says it with flowers
- Teacher earns trophy by a whisker
- ‘Three-year wait’ for disc parking on Cockermouth street
- Council pair offer £9,000 to end years of misery for bus passengers
- Tony’s now a winner in his life-long battle of the bulge
- Cockermouth Beer Festival goes down a treat
- New lease of life for historic Workington pub
- Author’s visit to school is no fantasy
- Fallen tree closes main West Cumbria road