West Cumbrian carnival revival bid revealed
Last updated at 12:11, Friday, 05 October 2012
Maryport carnival will be revived next year.
The Solway Trust announced this week that it will take over the organisation of the event, which folded this year due to a lack of support.
The carnival will take place on the second Saturday in July.
A trust spokesman said: “With the reinstatement of this once main-stay of the social calendar, the trust continues to highlight our commitment to combat diminishing local events, to help maintain and support Maryport as an enticing tourist destination as well as providing a platform for showcasing the fantastic community spirit of our local area.”
It also announced the staging of a three-day harbour festival over the May bank holiday.
This year’s event had to be abandoned because of gale force winds.
The spokesman added: “’We’re elated that the much-anticipated family event will bring amazement, excitement and fun to the local area over the bank holiday weekend.
“The Solway Trust is also ambitious in our plans to bring some excellent live music to the harbourside for the duration of the festival, and will be making announcements regarding the first group of bands over the coming weeks.”
It will also include the annual Maryport trawler race, fun fair, stalls and exhibitions.
The trust said: “We’re overjoyed to be able to stage these two large scale events along with our continued hosting of a diverse range of regular smaller events, and feel truly honoured and privileged by the interest and support the local community continues to show.”
First published at 11:51, Friday, 05 October 2012
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- You look like that man off the TV!
- Farmer keeps 260ft turbine bid in motion with appeal (2 comments)
- Workington arson victim fears mistaken identity
- June 11 launch for West Cumbria flood defences
- Workington store closing (1 comment)
- Fish factory axes 40 jobs after loss of key contract (1 comment)
- Wedding guest left for dead after Workington hit and run
- Don't forget to pick up next week's Times & Star!
- Obituary - Richard Wimpress, of Cockermouth
- Herdwick given EU protected status