West Cumbrian dancers to perform at teaching conference
Last updated at 20:25, Thursday, 17 May 2012
Pupils from a West Cumbrian dance school will perform at the Association of American Dancing teachers’ conference on Sunday.
Chloe Ferguson, 10, of Seaton, Ellie Irving, 17, of Cockermouth, and Aspatria girls Michaela Torney, six, and Leah Doherty, 14, will represent the Maria Frances School of Dance at the conference in Derby.
The girls, along with Emma Pattinson, 24, of Whitehaven, all achieved more than 90 marks at a recent exam.
Chloe, a pupil at Seaton Junior School, Ellie, a former Cockermouth School student, and Michaela, who attends Richmond Hill School, will perform their modern solo dances.
Leah, a pupil at Nelson Tomlinson School in Wigton, was chosen for her tap and modern solo dances.
Ellie said: “I feel honoured to be asked to dance at the teachers’ conference. Only 12 dance routines get performed and six of them are from our dance school which is a great achievement.”
Michaela said: “Lots of people have said they are very proud of me for being invited.”
Teacher Maria Pattinson said: “The dance school as a whole achieved a high standard of marks during our recent exam.
“The five pupils chosen to represent the school did exceptionally well and I know they will do myself and Claire Ferguson proud on the day.
“It is rare to have so many dancers from one school invited to the conference which makes this all the more special for me.”
First published at 19:20, Thursday, 17 May 2012
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Maryport gets life-saving campaign boost
- Candidates stand up to scrutiny at hustings
- Trevor’s photography hobby soars to even greater heights
- Computer helps Laura in her bid to communicate
- Thousands expected to flock to key sheep show in Cockermouth
- Workington factory ends production
- Motley crew to light up stage a prelude to Georgian Fair
- Drive for new volunteers for vital car service
- New task force to tackle town’s pigeon population (1 comment)
- Maryport club’s missing £7,000 was a ‘clerical error’