Work on Cockermouth flood barrier to start next month
Last updated at 19:43, Thursday, 02 August 2012
A self-closing barrier system will be installed on Cockermouth’s Rubbybanks Road next month.
The Environment Agency has signed a deal with UK Flood Barriers to provide the defence which rises by using the power of approaching flood water.
It will provide protection for a one-in-100 year event and will be situated in front of the existing flood wall along the riverbank next to the River Cocker.
The SCFB® system is part of the EA’s £4.4m flood defence scheme for the town.
Town councillor Eric Nicholson said: “It is good news that the deal has been signed. Residents will be delighted that the visibility of their properties will not be impaired by the flood defences, which was one of the main worries when walls were originally suggested.”
Keith Roddy, Environment Agency project manager, said the agency had been presented with twin challenges of reducing flood risk while maintaining the town’s heritage.
He said: “The SCFB® will allow us to provide increased protection when the river is in flood, but maintains the river views for residents and tourists.”
First published at 19:22, Thursday, 02 August 2012
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- West Cumbrian rapist sentenced to 12 years in prison
- Firm keeps La’al Ratty on track
- Hotel copule earn top AA award
- Hotel puts its energy into biomass boiler
- Chamber launches West Cumbria business breakfast
- Former lecturer restores rotting Maryport boat
- Vandals take plaques in memory of Great Clifton teen David Foster (7 comments)
- Cat killed in Workington dog attack (1 comment)
- Broughton Moor care home approved despite objections (4 comments)
- Maryport plans tourism drive with Mary Portas cash (1 comment)