Workington centre for adults with learning disabilities evacuated
Published at 14:13, Tuesday, 11 September 2012
A resource centre for adults with learning disabilities had to be evacuated earlier today after an electrical unit began smoldering.
The Westfield Resource Centre on Windsor Road, Workington, was evacuated at around noon after a member of staff noticed the
smoldering unit and called the fire and rescue service.
Crew from the fire and rescue service arrived but no fire was detected and United Utilities were contacted to fix the problem.
Around 25 staff and clients were in the centre at the time and were relocated to the Minto Centre on Nilsson Drive.
Cathy Parker, operation director for West House, said: "We were asked to move away from the building just in case so we came up to the Minto Centre where we are being well catered for.
"United Utilities is working to replace the unit and have said we should be able to go back in about one to two hours."
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- Panel chairman to stay on despite complaints
- Giving students the chance to learn in a new way
- Support group helps people make the forward steps in their lives
- Paranormal hunt at Workington theatre
- Fletcher dances for top role
- Jail for West Cumbria bottle attack man
- Two men deny data protection charges
- Lawyers team up for a new online venture
- Your chance to help shape town’s new £9m leisure centre
- Workington's Body Shop will close on June 8