Workington mayoress to open new fascinator shop
Last updated at 07:22, Friday, 04 May 2012
A Workington woman has set up her dream business selling colourful fascinators.
Norah Alderson, 43, will officially open Cherry Tree Fashions Ltd, on Peart Road, Derwent Howe, tomorrow with the help of Mayor of Allerdale Joe Holliday and his wife Dorothy, a self-confessed fascinator enthusiast.
Mrs Alderson’s husband Nigel, 45, is her business partner and will run the firm’s website.
Mrs Alderson, who was made redundant from her job in IT support at the town’s magistrates court in 2010, has a degree in management.
She said: “This has always been my dream. I’ve always been artistic and have a lot of experience creating headpieces.
“I even made my sister Karen Hoskin’s wedding dress, bridesmaids dress and headpieces.
“I did very academic courses at college and at university and did everything but what I really wanted to do.”
The business, which has been supported by West Cumbria Development Agency, will sell fascinators by Mrs Alderson and designers including Nigel Rayment.
The couple chose the business name as one of Mrs Alderson’s relatives lived on Cherry Tree Hill on the Isle of Man, and they have a cherry tree in their garden.
She added: “The aim is to design and make more of my own fascinators in the future.”
Mrs Holliday, who has more than 20 fascinators which she has worn throughout her husband’s mayoral year, said: “Norah has some beautiful designs and there’s a lot of choice.”
First published at 06:10, Friday, 04 May 2012
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Support is growing for Workington bypass demand
- ‘Truly glorious’, says RAF veteran as he soars again
- Time capsule message from Harrington pupils
- Excavation sheds more light on life in Roman Maryport
- Commonwealth baton honour for dairy man
- Classrooms put together in just a day
- Leisure centre go-ahead for Workington (17 comments)
- NEW PHOTOS: Sun shone on Sealy Spyatstock
- Day out at Maryport for Iggesund golfers
- Frank built 42-year career with West Cumbrian construction company