Workington mayoress to open new fascinator shop
Last updated at 07:22, Friday, 04 May 2012
A Workington woman has set up her dream business selling colourful fascinators.
Norah Alderson, 43, will officially open Cherry Tree Fashions Ltd, on Peart Road, Derwent Howe, tomorrow with the help of Mayor of Allerdale Joe Holliday and his wife Dorothy, a self-confessed fascinator enthusiast.
Mrs Alderson’s husband Nigel, 45, is her business partner and will run the firm’s website.
Mrs Alderson, who was made redundant from her job in IT support at the town’s magistrates court in 2010, has a degree in management.
She said: “This has always been my dream. I’ve always been artistic and have a lot of experience creating headpieces.
“I even made my sister Karen Hoskin’s wedding dress, bridesmaids dress and headpieces.
“I did very academic courses at college and at university and did everything but what I really wanted to do.”
The business, which has been supported by West Cumbria Development Agency, will sell fascinators by Mrs Alderson and designers including Nigel Rayment.
The couple chose the business name as one of Mrs Alderson’s relatives lived on Cherry Tree Hill on the Isle of Man, and they have a cherry tree in their garden.
She added: “The aim is to design and make more of my own fascinators in the future.”
Mrs Holliday, who has more than 20 fascinators which she has worn throughout her husband’s mayoral year, said: “Norah has some beautiful designs and there’s a lot of choice.”
First published at 06:10, Friday, 04 May 2012
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Workington Hall safety work begins
- PHOTOS: Troops march into the heart of Maryport
- Wreath mission to war graves of town’s fallen
- Garage beauty salon’s 10 years
- Keswick's former pencil factory to be sold
- Gary the Ferret’s big day out leads to uproar on bus
- Bid to replace vandalised seating
- Judge tells allotment holders to leave in six weeks
- Traders in TV advert push to promote town (2 comments)
- Friends plan party to remember Chloe at 21