Workington panto celebrates bumper crowds
Published at 13:46, Friday, 04 January 2013
The cry of “encore” greeted a Workington panto whose festive production attracted bumper crowds.
Workington and District Amateur Musical Society has decided to stage three extra performances next Christmas after this season’s festive production of Dick Whittington proved a massive hit.
A total of 2,353 people watched the Carnegie Theatre show, with a total of 2,448 tickets available to the public.
For a second year in a row seven of the eight performances attracted a full house.
Last year’s production of Sleeping Beauty attracted the Carnegie Theatre’s largest audiences for at least a decade when 2,548 people packed in.
The society’s previous top panto audience on record was 2,385 for Robinson Crusoe in 2002.
Demand was so high for Dick Whittington that the society wanted to put on an extra performance but was unable to because of cast and crew work commitments.
Philip Martin-White, society promotions manager, said next year’s pantomime will have 11 performances to cope with demand, and an option to extend this to 12.
He said: “We didn’t expect to do as well as we did last year. It’s quite a big achievement.”
Wadams is well on with plans for its next production, Around the World in 20 Shows, from April 25 to 27. Rehearsals start on Tuesday at 7pm for young members and at Thursday at 7pm for adults.
New members are welcome and both rehearsals are in the society’s Gordon Street headquarters.
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- Fightback begins as Cockermouth Main Street reopens (2 comments)
- Volunteer drivers step up after Maryport bus cuts (3 comments)
- Work begins on Workington snooker hall demolition (1 comment)
- Security increased at theft-hit West Cumbrian church
- Maryport girl becomes youngest qualified diver in Cumbria
- West Cumbria GP to join fight against deadly Ebola
- West Cumbrian village hall work pays off
- New group planned to give a voice to Workington traders
- Cockermouth School to consult again on switching to an academy
- Battle on against Workington turbines