Workington theatre on track with £30,000 funding bid
Last updated at 13:00, Friday, 27 September 2013
Workington’s Theatre Royal is in line for a possible £30,000 grant to help put it at the heart of the community.
The Playgoers Club, based in the Washington Street venue, has had its stage-one bid for the Big Lottery Fund’s Reaching Communities Programme approved.
The charity wants £29,124 towards a planned £412,000 project to make the theatre accessible and bring under used parts of the building back into use.
Work includes a major revamp of the auditorium and rehearsal studio, conversion of a redundant three-storey shop building into a youth venue, and improvements to the entrance foyer. Disabled access will also be improved.
Organisers hope the Youth and Community Inclusion Project will secure the long-term future of the theatre.
Playgoers’ chairman Peter Inglis said: “As a registered charity and custodian of this asset, we want it used by as many people as possible, particularly when the theatre is not needed for performances. It is exciting that we have this opportunity to establish the theatre for future generations.”
Pat Brinicombe, publicity officer for the Theatre Royal, added: “We are now looking forward to much greater community use of the theatre.”
The theatre’s turnaround comes two years after it faced a closure threat because of a shortage of cash and volunteers.
Initial drawings of the new plans will be on display tomorrow morning in the theatre foyer.
First published at 12:57, Friday, 27 September 2013
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Workington pub granted 4.30am licence
- Workington newsagent top Lottery fund-raiser
- Coal mining memorial planned for town centre
- Free surprise as Julie says it with flowers
- Teacher earns trophy by a whisker
- ‘Three-year wait’ for disc parking on Cockermouth street
- Council pair offer £9,000 to end years of misery for bus passengers
- Tony’s now a winner in his life-long battle of the bulge
- Cockermouth Beer Festival goes down a treat
- New lease of life for historic Workington pub